Yuva Engineers Program is a science and Technology enrichment initiative designed for students in India. Yuva Engineers goal is to inspire young engineers to develop an interest in research and development, in doing so, recognise the importance and excitement of engineering for the upliftment of people of India.
Modern society owes the wealth and standards of living that we all enjoy to the field of engineering. Comfortable accommodation, electricity at the flick of a switch, a plentiful supply of food and modern communication systems are some of the things that are completely dependent on engineering. Engineering is the discipline, art and profession of acquiring and applying technical, scientific, and mathematical knowledge to design and implement materials, structures, machines, devices, systems, and processes that safely realize a desired objective or invention.
The concept of engineering has existed since ancient times as humans devised fundamental inventions such as the pulley, lever, and wheel. Each of these inventions is consistent with the modern definition of engineering, exploiting basic mechanical principles to develop useful tools and objects. Engineering, much like other science, is a broad discipline which is often broken down into several sub-disciplines. These disciplines concern themselves with differing areas of engineering work. Although initially an engineer will be trained in a specific discipline, throughout an engineer’s career the engineer may become multi-disciplined, having worked in several of the outlined areas.
Historically the main Branches of Engineering are categorized as follows:
- Aerospace engineering – The design of aircraft, spacecraft and related topics.
- Chemical engineering – The exploitation of chemical principles in order to carry out large scale chemical process, as well as designing new specialty materials and fuels.
- Civil engineering – The design and construction of public and private works, such as infrastructure (roads, railways, water supply and treatment etc.), bridges and buildings.
- Electrical engineering – a very broad area that may encompass the design and study of various electrical & electronic systems, such as electrical circuits, generators, motors, electromagnetic/electromechanical devices, electronic devices, electronic circuits, optical fibers, optoelectronic devices, computer systems, telecommunications.
- Mechanical engineering – The design of physical or mechanical systems, such as engines, kinematic chains, vacuum technology, and vibration isolation equipment.
With the rapid advancement of technology many new fields are gaining prominence and new branches are developing such as materials engineering. computer engineering, software engineering, nanotechnology, tribology, molecular engineering, mechatronics, etc. These new specialties sometimes combine with the traditional fields and form new branches such as mechanical engineering and mechatronics and electrical and computer engineering.
Engineers apply the sciences of physics and mathematics to find suitable solutions to problems or to make improvements to the status quo. More than ever, engineers are now required to have knowledge of relevant sciences for their design projects, as a result, they keep on learning new material throughout their career.
Engineers as professionals take seriously their responsibility to produce designs that will perform as expected and will not cause unintended harm to the public at large. Engineers use their knowledge of science, mathematics, and appropriate experience to find suitable solutions to a problem. Engineering is considered a branch of applied mathematics and science. Creating an appropriate mathematical model of a problem allows them to analyze it (sometimes definitively), and to test potential solutions.
As with all modern scientific and technological endeavors, computers and software play an increasingly important role. As well as the typical business application software there are a number of computer aided applications (Computer-aided technologies) specifically for engineering. Computers can be used to generate models of fundamental physical processes, which can be solved using numerical methods.
Engineering is a subject that ranges from large collaborations to small individual projects. Almost all engineering projects are beholden to some sort of financing agency: a company, a set of investors, or a government. By its very nature engineering is bound up with society and human behavior. Every product or construction used by modern society will have been influenced by engineering design. Engineering design is a very powerful tool to make changes to environment, society and economies, and its application brings with it a great responsibility.
Engineering is a key driver of human development. India in particular has a very large engineering capacity which results in many Indian states being able to develop crucial infrastructure without outside aid. The attainment of vision 2020 Goals requires the achievement of sufficient engineering capacity to develop infrastructure and sustainable technological development.
Yuva Engineers aim is to:
- Promote the Research and Development in engineering
- Provide lifelong learning tools for engineers
- Promote the importance of the engineering among general public
- Promote ethical code of conduct, professional behavior and moral values among engineers
- Encourage and guide all those who wish to do further studies in the field of engineering