Title: Noise Control
Author: Shubham Giri Goswami, 2nd Year BE, Mechanical Engineering
Guide: Nitin Barsadge, Asst.Professor
College: GYAN SAGAR COLLEGE OF ENGINEERING
ABSTRACT: – Today era there is most consulted problem in front of us that is noise. Noise is an unwanted sound which is not listenable and very harmful for the living being it is resistance in the growth of nation because it mostly affected to new born child and adult person. Adult person and children have important role in the progress of nation. Noise is increasing day by day because of ultimate use of sound producing equipment and device. And it is due to awareness of child and adult person to the noise it is necessary to aware him and give information about noise. The aim of this paper is too aware the people about noise. So in that paper we consult about noise and “control of noise”.
Keywords: – noise, sound, nation, adult, and child.
INTRODUCTION: – WHAT IS NOISE
Sound is essential to our daily lives, but noise is not. Noise is generally used as an unwanted sound, or sound which produces unpleasant effects and discomfort on the ears. Generally frequency limit of audibility are from 20 Hz to 20000hz.sound of frequency less than 20 Hz are called infrasonic and greater than 200000 are called ultrasonic. Sound is produced by the vibration of an object or mechanism and transmitted in the form of waves-alternating increase and decrease in pressure. And noise is also responsible for noise pollution. Noise problem generally consist three inter-related element- the source, the receiver and the transmission path. The transmission path usually the atmosphere through which the sound propagated.
UNIT OF MEASUREMENT OF NOISE
Decibel (db) is used in environment to measure of sound power level, sound intensity level, and sound pressure level .a decibel (one-tenth of a bell) is a physical unit based on the weakest sound that can be detected by the human ear. In general, the decibel (db) of the quantity A, relative to the reference quantity A0, is defined as:
DB = 10 log (A/A0)
By using the above relationship, the sound power level of sound source can be calculated
LW =10log (I/I0) +10log(s/s0)
Where, s= surface area of a sphere in meters, and
S0 = reference area (=1m2)
TABLE – SOUND MEASUREMENT UNIT– INTENSITY, PRESSURE, POWER AND DECIBEL(dB) FOR SOUND IN AIR AT ROOM TEMPERATURE AND SEA LEVEL PRESSURE.
SOURCE OR CAUSES OF NOISE
The source of noise is more in urban and industrial areas, than in rural areas. These are some source of noise-
1. TRANSPORTATION NOISE/TRAFFIC NOISE: -this can be further sub –divided into three categories, viz. rod traffic noise, aircraft noise, and rail traffic noise.
(A). ROAD TRAFFIC OR HIGHWAY NOISE: – the noise generated from highway traffic is one of the major sources of noise. Highway noise occurs due to individual vehicles. Individual vehicles include noise from engine and transmission, exhaust noise, noise due to slamming of car doors, and use of horn. Traffic speed is, however, one of the major causes of noise.
NOISE OF VARIOUS VEHICLE TYPE
(B).INTERNATIONAL AIRCRAFT NOISE: – this source of noise has been increasing steadily during recent years, especially closed to airports, and has now become a very serious problem. Aircraft noise differs from road traffic noise in the sense that it is not continuous but intermittent.
(C). RAIL TRAFFIC NOISE: – noise from rail traffic is not a serious nuisance as compared to the road traffic and airport noise. The noise produced is, generally, of lower frequency than that of road vehicles; and further, most railway tracks run through rural areas.
2. INDUSTRIAL NOISE: – in industries, noise is the byproduct of energy conversion. The major source of noise in an industrial plant may include electromechanical machines (like motor, generators, etc.) impact machines (like punching, stamping, hammers, etc.), combustion process (furnaces), fluid motion (compressors, fans etc.), and unbalanced or improperly fitted mechanical parts (like shaft, gears, etc.).
3. NOISE FROM CONSTRUCTION WORK: – noise from construction sites is generally far worse than the noise origination from factories. There are two reasons for this –one is that construction (of road, bridges, building, dams, etc.)
TYPICAL SOUND LEVELS OF MAJOR CONSTRUCTION EQUIPMENT
4. NEIGHBORHOOD NOISE: – it includes a variety of noise source which disturb and annoy public. The most prominent is the indiscriminate use of loudspeaker in public functions, entertainments, festival, election, etc. the source include vacuum cleaners, TV, and radio sets, washing machines, etc.
EFFECTS OF NOISE:-
effect of noise is very harmful for the living being .noise creates the problem of hearing, and it effected to old edge person mostly it is harmful for patient. Some of the effects are as under:-
immediate and acute effect of noise to a person, over a period of time, is impairment of hearing. Prolonged exposure to impulsive noise to a person will damage their eardrum, which may
result in a permanent hearing.
EFFECT ON GENERAL HEALTH
Noise lower down the hearing capacity of human as a result stresses are produced in the brain of human due to which harmful diseases are occur in human body and noise also disturb to the nervous system of the human being. Noise also effected to the new born child and pregnant woman.
According to research of scientist it was found that animals also affected by noise. Aquatic animals are affected due to noise of ships, submarine, etc. and flying word’s also affected by sound of aircraft, and rockets.
NOISE PREVENTION AND CONTROLLING TIPS
THERE ARE SOME IMPORTANT TIPS TO CONTROL NOISE AND PREVENTION FROM NOISE:-
1. Construction of soundproof rooms for noisy machines in industrial and manufacturing installations must be encouraged. This is also important for residential buildings-noisy machine should be installed far from sleeping and living rooms like garage and basements.
2. Use of horns with jarring sounds, motorbike with damaged exhaust pipes, noisy trucks should be banned.
3. Noise producing industries, airports, bus and transport terminals and railway stations to sighted far from living places.
4. Community law enforcers should check the misuse of loudspeakers, worshipers, outdoor parties and discos as well as public announcement systems.
5. Community law must silence zones near schools / colleges, hospitals etc.
6. Vegetation trees along roads and in residential areas are good way to produce noise pollution.
SOME GENERAL TIPS TO CONTROLLING NOISE ARE:-
(1) ELIMINATE THE NOISE AT THE SOURCE: – We can reduce noise by enclosing the noisy machines, providing elastic suspension between the machine and its supporting structure, using vibration dampening materials, oiling and greasing.
(2) MODIFY THE PATH, ALONG WHICH THE SOUND IS TRANSMITTED: – introduction of sound barriers like walls, plant growth along roadways, railways etc.
(3) PROVIDE THE RECEIVER WITH SOME FORM OF PROTECTION: – issuing ear protection equipments like ear muffs, ear plugs etc. to receiver of noise.
It is very difficult to completely end the noise but simple to reduce it we can easily reduce the noise on following the way of prevention of noise and can be control easily but awareness and knowledge is required about the noise to every kind of people.
CONCLUSION: – Over the past few decades it is cleared that noise is unwanted sound which is very harmful for the living being. And noise is resistance in the progress of nation. So it is very necessary to control the noise. Noise is also responsible to create noise pollution which is also very harmful. Awareness is very important in all kind of people especially in child and adult person. Knowledge about noise and control of noise is important for the people. The knowledge of noise control will act as a boon for development of nation. Government should be take responsibility to aware the people about the way of noise control through any medium like television, radio, newspaper etc. the contribution of all kind of medium of communication and all kind of people of society play important roll to control the noise.
1. Assessment and Control of Noise Pollution in Mining Industry, Proceedings of National
Seminar held by Institution of Engineers at Madras, 1989
2. DR.SURINDER DESWAL – Energy, Environment, Ecology and Society, published by GAGAN KAPUR FOR DHANPAT RAI & CO. (P) LTD, EDITION: 2010.
3..Environmental Noise Pollution and its Control, Proceedings of Specialist Course,
Institution of Engineers, Roorkee, India 1992.
4. HTTPS://WWW.NOISEPOLLUTION.COM/NOISE CONTROLS.
5. U.S. Environmental Protection Agency, “Information on Levels of Environmental Noise Requisite to
Protect the Public Health and Welfare with an Adequate Margin of Safety,” Report 550/9-74-004, March 1974.